Environment-Conflict Nexus in the Sahel Region: Lake Chad as a Case in Point
Parole chiave:Environment, Conflict, Nexus, Sahel, Lake Chad
Lake Chad in the Sahel region has emerged as the epicenter of the widening conflict that is, in part, attributed to climate change-induced factors along with natural resource instability and intra-state pressures exacerbated by exploitative past colonial policies. The resulting environment-conflict nexus has given rise to violence, state fragility, communal breakdown, displacement of the local population, the proliferation of violent non-state actors, and a vicious cycle of poverty in countries surrounding Lake Chad. These factors, in turn, have made the individuation, establishing, and sustaining of institutions, and aid mechanisms to alleviate climate-change-related hardships extremely difficult. Furthermore, the environment-conflict nexus has disrupted inter- and intra-state migration patterns in Lake Chad, thereby adversely affecting agricultural yields and water resources. Additionally, there is a limited political representation and inadequate access to governmental services in the worst affected regions, which negatively accrue several contributing factors of the environment-conflict nexus.
• Shahrbanou Tadjbakhsh, “Human Security: Concepts and Implications with an Application to Post-Intervention Challenges in Afghanistan,” Centre D'études Et De Recherches Internationales, September 2005, https://www.sciencespo.fr/ceri/sites/sciencespo.fr.ceri/files/etude117_118.pdf.
• Amitav Acharya, “Human security”, In the Globalization of World Politics, edited by John Baylis, Steve Smith and Patricia Owens, (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2020), pp. 449-462.
• Mohamed Behnassi, Antonietta Elia, Manolis Grillakis, Ethemcan Turhan and Koubi V, “Human security”, In Climate and Environmental Changein the Mediterranean Basin – Current Situation and Risks for the Future, edited by W Cramer, J Guiot and K Marini, (First Mediterranean Assessment Report: Marseille, 2020), pp. 23.
• Venu Menon Sudha, “Human security: Concept and practice,” Munich Personal RePEc Archive, March 31, 2007, https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/2478/,
• “Food crisis: the EU takes action to support Africa's Sahel and Lake Chad regions,” European Commission, April 6, 2022. https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_22_2245
• “Lake Chad Basin Cholera Outbreak - Key Messages,” OCHA, October 5, 2018. https://reliefweb.int/report/nigeria/lake-chad-basin-cholera-outbreak-key-messages-september-2018#:~:text=Attachments&text=The%20Lake%20Chad%20Basin%20is,over%20the%20past%20four%20years.
Copyright (c) 2022 Arushi Singh
Questo lavoro è fornito con la licenza Creative Commons Attribuzione - Non commerciale - Non opere derivate 4.0 Internazionale.